Saturday, August 16, 2008

Grilled burgers anyone? NOT!

Okay, the last day of my kids spring vacation I thought I would make burgers on the grill. I mean, what better way to celebrate the end of summer. Plus it would be for lunch and it is much less clean-up for my daycare children's lunch too. You know, kill two birds with one stone. But, I love animals so let's make it bugs instead. So I go out and start the charcoal grill about an hour before it was time for lunch. I am used to a gas grill but my wonderful friend Angie had a charcoal grill that she and her hubby decided they didn't anymore and I didn't have a grill at all so perfect, right? I put the little new charcoals in the grill all pretty and spray them with the starter fluid and light it. Easy. Small flame...then it goes away. Okay, we will put more starter fluid...ooohhh, a better fire...then it goes away. Okay I'll douse it good (kids, don't try this at home) nice big fire. I tell Sierra to stand back, it's going crazy...then it goes away. Hhhmmm...maybe if I stand there and slowly spritz the fire with starter fluid, it will turn the coals white and I can cook. Tried that tactic for about 10 minutes and the corners were white...about what they were about 3/4 of a starter fluid bottle ago. I let it sit there for awhile, hopefully burning off the way excess starter fluid. Decided that I would go ahead and try some hotdogs on the grill. After all, no one would get salmonella from them, people eat them uncooked sometimes! Put them on, went inside to cook the rest of the lunch. Come back 10 minutes later and find them still raw. By then it was 1:15pm, kids were suppose to be taking a nap at 12:30! So, lunch was cooked inside on the stove.
Ironically though that I may never be an arsonist, an expert grill starter but I can ignite a whole house if given the chance. I couldn't start that grill if my life depended on it. But back in January, my gas furnace wouldn't stay on. We had to light the pilot light every night. One sleepy morning just like every previous morning it was freezing when I woke up. Went in to light the pilot while the girls slept and BOOM! It exploded in my face. Burned my extra long wood match to pure carbon just like on cartoons! Blew the clock off the wall and burned my face, my finger and my eyes. I was really upset when that happened because I was literally praying, "God please let this light and nothing bad happen...then BOOM!" I thought, God where were you? Why did you let that happen? I could've been killed. I asked for your help. But a friend of mine said it perfectly. God was with me. I couldn't have died, but didn't. It could have killed all of us and the neighbors, but it didn't. God was truly there protecting us as I prayed. Wow, was I blessed at that second but didn't realize it at the time.
Have you ever been like my charcoal grill? I have. On fire for the Lord for a while...then it goes away. Off and on in your spiritual walk. Lukewarm at times but on fire others. Then maybe no flame at all sometimes. God says in Revelation 3:15-16 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So, then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of My mouth." It goes on to say in verse 17, "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'-and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-"
How many times, when life is going well, we become "cold" in our spiritual lives. Then when things get tough we pray, "God please help us". Be on fire for the Lord at all good and in bad. Do not be lukewarm. Why do I think I have a right to tell you what to do? Because I have been a lukewarm Christian and although you don't realize it at the time, it is a scary place to be. It is a very vulnerable place to be.
Okay, time to close for now. But if any of you out there want their gas furnace lit...give me a call. I'll bet we could have a lit furnace and a cookout all at the same time! Love ya!

In His precious name,

No comments: